Interactive Sermon

"Those who have the disease called Jesus will never be cured" ~Old Russian Proverb

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Conversations about God

As I sit here working on this Sunday's message it occurs to me that the word 'Theology' is literally translated God-talk (God -theo / uttered word -logos).

How is it that God has come up in conversations you've had with others? Do you find people are open to talk about God?

6 Comments:

• Great Question Darin, Not sure if its age, or because of experienced that I have been through were people know I have turned to God, or that more people want something more in their own life, but yes God seems to be mentioned a lot more than I can remember in my conversations, but I cannot say the same for Jesus...I need to ponder this more.

By Brian Smith, at 9/01/2005 4:16 PM

• hey pastor darin! well, God tends to pop up in a lot of conversations i have. Whether its people who have gotten to know me, or people I meet in a store. usually it comes up when people are interested in finding out more about me and are surprised with what they hear, and they want to know more about my life and why I live the way I do. A lot of times though I find myself talking to people I just met about God and to tell you the truth I don't know how God comes up, it sometimes feels as though God led certain people to me who are hungry to learn and for some reason chose me to talk to.
    hey cool lesson by the way, Greek is a pretty cool language... =) that is Greek though..right..hehe?
    praying for your sermon wish i was there to hear it,
    ~amanda

By amanda, at 9/01/2005 8:05 PM

• Brian, Amanda and all... thanks for your posts. I had one of these encounters this morning at a breakfast cafe. Enjoying my coffee and reading a book entitled "Blog" (no I'm not kidding), I had someone ask me what I was reading. Within minutes God was a part of our conversation, as I mentioned my learning about Blogs for this site. The marvelous thing for me is that I hadn't planned on talking to anyone about God - just enjoying my coffee, the quiet and my book for a few minutes. The intriguing part is, I don't know if or when I'll ever connect with that person again. So, I am hopeful that God's at work somehow in their lives, and that maybe that brief little encounter with me will be a small part of a big picture at some point.

By Darin, at 9/02/2005 9:50 AM

• Darin, God is at work somehow in my life right now! Let me just say this....my brief little encounter with you WAS just a small part of the big picture. Now it is getting to be a bigger part of the big picture!! Thank You!

By Jackie, at 9/03/2005 4:14 AM

• Thanks Jackie... our encounters with each other, for sure, are all a part of a big story.

I noticed again Brian's earlier comments, that often God comes into conversation, but it is not as often that Jesus comes up. I wonder if it's not that God is general enough of a reference while Jesus is more particular. I mean, people of all (or little at all) religion can point to a "God" in a general sense, but when you mention Jesus you have specifically identified the God of the Bible and the faith that is identified with His name. How do we see Jesus become more a part of our conversations?

By Darin, at 9/03/2005 9:55 AM

• Darin
    You word that so well, "God in a general sense", I think saying God is a comforting word for many. We think of God as our creator, and the one who has given us life. Jesus seems so much more detailed, and very often complex in our everyday life. The complexity of it goes way back to my childhood. I can recall on many ocassions asking my mother how can God and Jesus be the same, and who am I praying too, and to which one do I pray to? Does God look like Jesus? Could God of saved Jesus from Dying on the cross? and it it that Jesus is God on earth.

Scripture as it relates to our everyday life is in fact the very best way to involve Jesus in our everyday life. Amazing how we find ourselves in so many situations that Jesus at one time or another found himself in. I suppose that is why some ask What would Jesus Do?

By Brian Smith, at 9/05/2005 8:11 PM