Interactive Sermon

"Those who have the disease called Jesus will never be cured" ~Old Russian Proverb

Friday, September 09, 2005

Get More Out Of Reading Your Bible

“I am not sure where to start.” “I tried to read from the beginning and got confused.” “What is the difference between the Old Testament and the New Testament?” “Who wrote the bible?” “There are so many versions out there, how do I know which version to trust?” “Aren’t there all sorts of contradictions in the bible?” “I just don’t get it.”

Can you relate to any of those quotes? I hear them, and other statements like them, all the time from people; some who have been Christians for many years, some who are relatively new to the Christian faith. The Bible can be an imposing read. However, with just a little bit of an overview, your bible reading can take on a whole new level of clarity and meaningfulness.

Beginning Tuesday September 20th, I will be leading a small group thru a Bible Overview. We’ll meet at the church on Tuesday evenings from 6 to around 7.

If you’re one of those who would like to get more out of your bible reading, I hope you’ll consider joining us! If you’re interested, post a comment or drop me an email (pastor@ccnh.org) so I can plan accordingly.

14 Comments:

• Darin,
    I'm trying to free up my work schedule for Tuesdays! Do I need to wear a special T-shirt??

By Jackie, at 9/10/2005 12:54 AM

• Hmmm, special t-shirts:

"I went to Bible Study and all I got was this old T-Shirt."

"Bible Study, it's not just for crises anymore."

"Bible Study: The few, the contrite, the redeemed."

"Highlighter, 50 cents, New International leather bound, 40 bucks. Eternity? Priceless."

"Bible Study: Four prayers, no waiting." (Gotta be old enough to remember barber shops.)

For a Calvinist Bible Study: "I was gonna skip Bible Study night, but I just couldn't."

For an Arminian Bible Study: "I don't know about YOU but I CHOSE to be here!"

Pre-tribulational Bible Study: "I'm outta here!"

Post-tribulationl Bible Study: "Waiting for God - OH" (say it out loud :) )

Pan-tribulational Bible Study: "It'll all pan out in the end!" (OK, that one's not original but I like it.)

:) This Tuesday Bible study sounds outstanding!!!!

D

By Higher Up, Further In, at 9/10/2005 3:28 PM

• is higher up further in mr. griffin?

By amanda, at 9/10/2005 10:05 PM

• Why would Mr. Richard Griffin put a D at the end, silly... ;-) Miss ya Manda Panda!! No, don't worry... that's not quote book material!!

By germaine, at 9/11/2005 10:14 AM

• haha!!! ohhhh i thought it was a messed up smiley face =)... haha well who is it, i thought it was mr. griffin cuz whoever it is sounds really smart and likes to use illustrations hehe, not like hes the only one but ya know. I MISS YOU TOOO!!! I miss CCA so much, although I like it here but there is no place like home.

By amanda, at 9/11/2005 2:43 PM

• Amanda...we missed you at CCA today, too! There's a new coffee mascot----Java Joe. We'll take a picture of him and send it to you! He's skinny, wears no clothes, and has hair that I can't describe. I think he's taking a survey of what kind of coffee we choose! HaHa! Have a great week at school!

By Jackie, at 9/12/2005 12:42 AM

• This post has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Higher Up, Further In, at 9/12/2005 8:50 AM

• Naw, I'm not Richard. But thanks for the comparison :). See, I do NOT mess up smiley faces!

I went undercover on this for a couple of reasons, but mostly because ... it's easier to be open for me that way. Most of you don't even know me anyway. But I become self-conscious in writing deeper things. I fall prey very easily to pride when I write, and this way I can step around some of that (hopefully).

Thanks for the kinds words.

D (yup, that's an intentional D! :))

By Higher Up, Further In, at 9/12/2005 8:51 AM

• Now wait just a minute! Java Joe DOES wear clothes!

By Darin, at 9/12/2005 10:13 AM

• Did he just get a new outfit?? I don't recall seeing much other than bony limbs yesterday!

By Jackie, at 9/12/2005 1:11 PM

• okay, who the heck is java joe and since when did CCA become a nudist colony?!? haha... pastor darin what is going on since I've been gone? and ewww coffee! well, i guess its better than some guy walking around in a coca cola suit ;-)(pastor darin's equivelent of coffee) yeah jackie you will def. have to send me a pix! haha oh boy i miss you all so much, but its awesome to hear whats going on even when it sounds like craziness.
    and sorry "D" whoever you are, I respect that and thanks for adding your deep thoughts to the conversation. haha D for deep haha! =)
    i miss and love my CCA family!
    be blessed!
    ~Amanda

By amanda, at 9/12/2005 2:26 PM

• Hey Manda Panda!!
    You would be scared of Java Joe... he even scares me a little... He wears a grass skirt and his butt is hanging out... he rides a surf board... and he has to be careful of coffee sharks!!!!

By germaine, at 9/12/2005 5:27 PM

• Steph's heading over to CCA tonight to meet with Mike and his group and I begged her to take along the I-Zone instant camera to take a picture of Java Joe to send to you! I'm thinking he is the God of Coffee Beans for some ancient tribes! We need to get him a guitar!!

By Jackie, at 9/12/2005 5:36 PM

• oh wow, i dont know if i want to know anymore, haha yeah send it anyways jackie i'm sure it will make me laugh. aww yay! im glad steph is going to bible study she will love it! i wanna know what she thought.

By amanda, at 9/12/2005 6:13 PM